Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Why I Play

This blog is my vehicle to share my playing experiences. Like many other blogs, I will talk about what methods I am or have used in the past, my gear, what I'm reading, listening to or playing. What makes this blog different than the thousands of others is it's about me. A little narcissistic, I know, but I have had so much fun up to this point, that I can't keep it all to my self. After all, that is what music is all about, in a word..... JOY! That's why I play. It brings me a tremendous amount of joy.

I know you're saying to yourself, "but Matt, how did you come to embark upon this fantastic voyage?" (Coolio reference intended) Glad you asked. After spending 11 years in the Army, including a couple of years overseas getting shot at by Iraqi's and various other individuals of the Arab persuasion, I became very good at, well, breaking stuff, as well as teaching others to become very effective at breaking stuff. When I ended my time in service, and returned to my young wife and beautiful kids to begin the transition from soldier to civilian, I needed some kind of conduit for the many emotions swirling around inside of me. Up until the point that I picked up the guitar, I had developed other outlets for the powerful feelings churning within me, but they usually involved throwing things or trying to pull people through their driver side windows after they flipped me the bird on the highway and had the unfortunate luck of getting stopped at the next red light (that last illustration may or may not have actually occurred, depending upon in which jurisdiction you are currently reading this blog post...)

For Christmas, 2009, at 34 years old, I bought myself my first "axe", a black Fender Squire Strat starter pack, complete with 10w practice amp. The whole she-bang (no William Hung reference intended) set me back $100 cash at Firehouse Music on 28th Street, Wyoming, MI. I took it home and, after taking it back again to have Justin at Firehouse set it up for me properly (which he did for free.... thanks Justin), I was off and running. In the last year or so, I have acquired a bit more gear, a lot more knowledge, and a few amusing stories as well. But most of all, I have gained a peace that I didn't know I could have at this point in my life. If you are reading this, and considering picking up a guitar and trying to learn, I have two things to say; 1) it's never to late to start, and 2) whatever else you do, HAVE A BLAST!! If you have been playing for some time now, and have stumbled upon my humble little .com, take a minute to let others know how truly amazing the whole experience can be.

Thanks for stopping by, I can't wait to share the ride with you!!!

B

No comments:

Post a Comment